Monday, August 17, 2009

Wedding Invites - Rough Sketches

So, as I mentioned in my last post, I've been commissioned to illustrate a friend's invitations for her wedding next August. This has been kind of a daunting project for me as it's the first time I've ever undertaken a project for someone else (and one I am being paid to take on - doubly daunting!). Having never been to art school AND having given up on art in my teenage years only to pick it back up again nearly ten years later, I don't have too much confidence in myself as an artist (and wow, what a horrible sentence). So, though this project is kind of scary, I'm hoping the successful completion of it will give me that little extra boost of confidence I need. Also, I'll have something REAL to show for all my drawing and doodling! Finally!

The above is just a bunch of doodles I did while only half paying attention to what I was doing. I was trying to get a bit of a feel for the text I'm going to be using for the invitations. Messy, yes. I've come up with something a little better since this. And also - yes, I did absentmindedly misspell my middle name. Whoops.

Like the bride in the previous post, this groom was also for practice. What I learned from this is that I need to learn how to draw suits, as well as figure out what the heck the groom's arms/hands are going to be doing in the final drawing. I often end up shoving my character's hands behind their backs because hands are such a pain in the rear to draw, but it's such an unnatural stance.

As the bride and groom will be driving away in an old-fashioned truck after the wedding, they thought it would be kind of cool to feature that truck in the invites. I drew this a few months ago when I had no idea what the actual truck looked like, but this ended up being pretty close. If only I could photoshop the little b&g outta there I might be able to get away with using it, after I spiffed up the image a bit.

No comments: